MIDI clip preview playback tempo

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

unwished_mantis

MIDI clip preview playback tempo

Post by unwished_mantis »

If I create a few MIDI clips at the default project tempo of 120 bpm, then change the project tempo to 90 bpm, when I press the play button in the Sound tab to preview the clip, it plays back at the original project tempo of 120 bpm.

Is there a way to automatically update the original clip tempo of all MIDI clips when changing the project tempo? Or am I misunderstanding the functionality of the play button in the Sound tab?
cactus-head

Re: MIDI clip preview playback tempo

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

When a clip is created, it inherits the current project tempo when you open the sound tab. So if your current project tempo is 168 at the current measure, if you add a clip it will inherit 168 as the tempo and display that on the sound tab.

If a midi file is loaded as a project, all of the tempo changes of the original file will be imported. However, if you check the MIDI clip on the sound tab, it will only inherit the first tempo setting at the beginning of project (the firs project tempo).

If you DRAG a MIDI file into a new empty project, you will have the option to use the current project tempo or to switch it to the FIRST occurrence of a tempo marking in the MIDI file. The dragged midi file will not carry over any other tempo changes.

If you DRAG a MIDI file into a a project that already has clips, the dragged MIDI file will inherit the tempo of the project without giving you the option to change its tempo.

In all cases, you can change the individual clip tempo on the sound tab in the middle left hand side under the heading "Original Clip Tempo."
unwished_mantis

Thank you for your response.

I guess I was more wondering why the play button in the sound tab uses the original clip tempo instead of the project tempo.

Since it does seem to use the original clip tempo, is there is any way to change the original clip tempo for all clips without having go through and do it one by one?
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi

Hit Ctrl +A to select all clips; and then in the sound tab hit 'use project tempo'
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
unwished_mantis

TrevsAudio wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:50 pm Hi

Hit Ctrl +A to select all clips; and then in the sound tab hit 'use project tempo'
Thanks. I tried this, but it didn't seem to have any effect on the original clip tempo. Does it apply to virtual instrument clips?

I'll try to give a little bit more detail about my process because, like I said, it may just be my misunderstanding of how things are supposed to work.

1. I record (or manually create in the piano roll) some virtual instrument clips at a certain project tempo, say 120 bpm.
2. I change the project tempo 100 bpm.
3. I want to make some changes to one of the virtual instrument clips, so I use the preview button in the Sound tab to loop the clip so that I can hear the changes as I am editing in the piano roll. Since the Original Clip Tempo on the clip is 120 bpm, the clip plays back at 120 bpm.

I know that I can just change the Original Clip Tempo to fix this, but just wanted to make sure I'm not going about this the wrong way.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you have it set to Use Project Tempo, and you change the project tempo, the clip is stretching to match isn't it?

In the screenshot below, I have Use Project Tempo selected. The MIDI clip is one measure long. If I change the tempo to 60 or 200, the clip will still be one measure long, and will play slower or faster accordingly.

If I set the clip to Time Stretch, the clip will not change length when I change project tempo, and the rest of the project will play slower or faster in comparison.

Greg

Use Project Tempo
Use Project Tempo
useprojecttempoMX10.png (65.61 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
unwished_mantis

The clips play back at the project tempo if I use the main Play button or the Play button that is on the clips in the timeline. However, if I use the preview button, they play back at the Original Clip Tempo. In your screenshot, the button I'm referring to is to the left of the piano roll, and just right of where it says "4 | 4".
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The preview on the sound tab always plays the original tempo. This is probably more salient for audio clips, because it allows you to hear the original audio without effects, etc.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
unwished_mantis

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:44 am Hi,

The preview on the sound tab always plays the original tempo. This is probably more salient for audio clips, because it allows you to hear the original audio without effects, etc.

Greg
Got it. Thanks to everyone who responded.