Ending playback at end of track/song

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mr.Mxyzptlk

Ending playback at end of track/song

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Hi all,

Is there a way to get the playhead to stop at the end of a track/song. I've also got about 10 seconds of blank audio at the end of my song. When the song finishes, the playhead continues to roll on for another 10 seconds or so then stops even though there is nothing to play. When I mixdown, it records that time as blank audio at the end of the song. Why does it do that? And when does it decide to stop running?

It would be great when it just automatically stops when there is nothing to playback. I'm probably missing/doing something soft but if someone could enlighten me, that would be great. Thanks.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
jwarv

Re: Ending playback at end of track/song

Post by jwarv »

This question has come up before. There might be "unheard" audio like reverb or any fx with decay. Not sure if setting the master track to fade to mute at that point will help but worth a try.

Also, there is a setting for it to jump back to track start but not a sure about at the end.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi Mr M

Also when mixing down, you can highlight just the section you need in the timeline, then in the mix-down dialog tick the 'use selection' box.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

jwarv wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:07 am This question has come up before. There might be "unheard" audio like reverb or any fx with decay. Not sure if setting the master track to fade to mute at that point will help but worth a try.

Also, there is a setting for it to jump back to track start but not a sure about at the end.
I just have BB Tubes, SmartLimit and SmartEQ4 on the Master Track so nothing to cause it to run on. It's quite frustrating as it doesn't follow any logical process hence difficult to predict.
The jump back to start is fine does not address the overrunning issue.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

TrevsAudio wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:37 am Hi Mr M

Also when mixing down, you can highlight just the section you need in the timeline, then in the mix-down dialog tick the 'use selection' box.
Ah thanks for that, Trev. An acceptable workaround until I can figure out what's happening.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

So, I just tried my muting idea. I have the whole project set to mute at 2:42 but the caret stopped at between 2:44 and 2:45. So, there must be other non-audio information that is being detected. :?:

Second experiment: I set the whole project as a loop. That stopped exactly where I set it, but of course jumped back to the start of the loop. Point being, it is very possible to add a feature that enables one to create a fixed stopping or starting point without having to mix down first.
Passionpasi

Post by Passionpasi »

It would be nice to have user selected start end markers. Play starting and ending on them and exporting only between those markers.

If developers ain't producing music as users, they might not know importance of some workflow things. Also there might not be understanding from users side how difficult something is to be developed.

Start end markers on place:

Start End markers.png
Start End markers.png (31.26 KiB) Viewed 439 times

Exporting between start end markers:

Start End Markers Export.png
Start End Markers Export.png (10.93 KiB) Viewed 439 times
10.5 Pro 596, Win 11, Focusrite solo 4th gen
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Select exactly what you want to mix down, then choose the Use Selection option.

What is happening? As others have mentioned, there may be audio from plugins that is trailing off into imperceptibility. (Also called an "effect tail.") But also, there's no mechanism for the plugins to report exactly when they are finished producing audio. Mixcraft is waiting for all the instruments and effects to finish doing their thing. Be careful that you're not cutting some reverb or echo off before it has completely trailed off.

Use Selection option.
Use Selection option.
useselectionMX10.png (62.4 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

jwarv wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:40 am So, I just tried my muting idea. I have the whole project set to mute at 2:42 but the caret stopped at between 2:44 and 2:45. So, there must be other non-audio information that is being detected. :?:

Second experiment: I set the whole project as a loop. That stopped exactly where I set it, but of course jumped back to the start of the loop. Point being, it is very possible to add a feature that enables one to create a fixed stopping or starting point without having to mix down first.

That's exactly what I am after.
Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:39 am Select exactly what you want to mix down, then choose the Use Selection option.

What is happening? As others have mentioned, there may be audio from plugins that is trailing off into imperceptibility. (Also called an "effect tail.") But also, there's no mechanism for the plugins to report exactly when they are finished producing audio. Mixcraft is waiting for all the instruments and effects to finish doing their thing. Be careful that you're not cutting some reverb or echo off before it has completely trailed off.
That's fine for mixing down but is there not just a simple way to stop the playhead from running on at the end of the project? Seems like a straightforward system request (or is it not?) that I am surprised is not included. I don't have any effects or reverb other than a limiter and EQ but it runs on for another 10 seconds or so after the song has finished??

Is there any way to trim that 'effect tail'?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What difference does it make? Why do you want playback to end abruptly? Do you want it to cut off barely perceptible audio?

Greg
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

It's a workflow thing. It's not about ending playback 'abruptly'. Just a simple fix to stop the playhead running on and getting it to reset to the beginning of the project.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You've got "Auto-rewind to start position when playback/recording ends" selected in Interface preferences, I take it?

So I guess you just want it to hurry up and auto-rewind as quickly as possible? You could do that with a playback loop, of course.

Greg
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

What if, in addition to the master track, you set all fx automations (if any) to stop at the point you want? See if that makes a difference.

UPDATE: Don't bother. I tried it, nothing really happens and even if there were some change, it's too much work. :?
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Thanks anyway. Doesn't sound like the issue is gonna get fixed so will just have to suck it up, I guess.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What would "fixed" mean? Do you want an option to stop playback in the middle of an effect tail? That would be a feature suggestion.

Greg