Route from Send to Send

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

avid_d

Route from Send to Send

Post by avid_d »

I am trying out Mixcraft but have hit an issue - I can find no way to send from a send (delay in my use case) to another send (reverb in my use case).

From what I can see, Mixcraft does not allow Sends to go anywhere other than straight to the Master. Have I missed something?
hpharley90

Re: Route from Send to Send

Post by hpharley90 »

you can use an effect chain in your send or use another send.
Yes send only goes to master.
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Or have a send with both delay and reverb on it?
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
avid_d

Post by avid_d »

Thank you for your considered replies.

There is a pretty common technique of using a send delay and then sending some of that to a send reverb - this allows one pretty easily to control where the delay sits in the mix. (One can even send a bit of the reverb back into the delay to soften the delay - not too much else one gets feedback).

I am surprised that Mixcraft has this limitation with its sends.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Send doesn't necessarily only go to master... You could route the send delay to an output bus and on the output bus have the reverb - or vice versa. Send bus (track) and Output bus (track) might be interchangeable terminology depending on the source.
avid_d

Post by avid_d »

Thanks cactus-head, but I don't see how that solves the issue. I need the reverb to be on a send so that I can have all of the dry tracks sending some of their signal to the reverb. Also, I want the delay to go to the master and just some of it to go to the reverb.

I think I am coming up against too many issues/workarounds (such as needing to set up a virtual midi cable just to route midi around from midi note generators) for Mixcraft 9 to be worthwhile for me.

Perhaps Mixcraft 10, when it gets released, may have out of the box solutions to my issues. I shall take a look then.
avid_d

Post by avid_d »

@cactus-head - again thank you for taking to the time to reply.

Apologies if I have not made myself clear. What I usually have as my set up is individual tracks (or a combined bus), after their own effects, going to the master + to a send for the wet delay + to a send for the wet reverb. The wet delay then goes to the master + I send a bit of it to the send for the wet reverb. The wet reverb goes to the master and, sometimes, a bit of it also gets sent back into the wet delay.

I am away for a long weekend, so I will take another look at Mixcraft next week but, if I have correctly understood your suggestion, I don't think it quite achieves the same thing. That said, nothing ventured, nothing learned.

Cheers.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

:D I think I understand and I don't think it is easily possible in the way you describe. However, rather than describing my new idea, maybe something like this diagram would work:

Cross send effects.JPG
Cross send effects.JPG (47.2 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
avid_d

Post by avid_d »

@cactus-head

I cannot express how much I appreciate your responses. I will give your idea a run next week but it is clearly a massive workaround for what is a pretty simple process in other DAWS.

If you fairly represent the members on this Mixcraft community, then it is a much nicer place than other forums I have touched upon. I just wish I had as much of a good feeling for the Mixcraft DAW itself (I think only FL Studio has made me feel more frustrated).

Stay safe.
Bronzeage

Post by Bronzeage »

Can I ask what other DAWS you use for this simple process to work.
All DAWS have quirks and routing terminology getting from A to B although I've found Mixcraft covers 90% of those scenario's.
avid_d

Post by avid_d »

@bronzeage

This technique is pretty simply achieved in Ableton, Reaper, Pro Tools, Tracktion Waveform and, if I recall correctly, FL Studio. There is also a pretty simple workaround to achieve it in Studio One too.
avid_d

Post by avid_d »

As an update - out of curiosity, subsequently I have tested Ardour (+ Harrison), Samplitude Pro X and Soundbridge. All of them allow the routing of Sends to Sends.

I am not sure why Mixcraft has chosen to not allow this, but it does appear to be in the minority in this regard.

This is not a dig at Mixcraft, just a slightly frustrated observation because there is much about Mixcraft that I liked from my testing.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I think you might be the only person who has ever requested this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

I like the suggestion also.
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Sis_Account

Post by Sis_Account »

Hi
I like Mixcraft and prefer it to Cakewalk for example, due to it's esse of use
However, it does have limitations with routing. I've been trying to do the rear bus method by Andrew Scheps but because you can't send multiple tracks to a send and the master at the same time, I find I have to duplicate all the tracks before I can parallel compress them in order to blend them to the master through a send. If you could route multiple tracks to more than one output at the same time (without track duplication) that would be helpful, particularly for this method.