ARPs not synced when mixing down?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mr.Mxyzptlk

ARPs not synced when mixing down?

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Is there a way to ensure that an ARP or similar track mixes down exactly as synced during playback? It's so frustrating when you get a track sounding exactly how you want it, then when you mix it down, the ARP is playing from a different part of it's cycle.

In some cases, it completely disrupts the flow of the track. It syncs perfectly every time I play it within the DAW but when mixed down, it sounds completely different. Is there any way to trigger the ARP from the same point every time?
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
cactus-head

Re: ARPs not synced when mixing down?

Post by cactus-head »

I think it may depend on the ARP VST. If it has a trigger that can be set based on an event (like note on for example) then it would reset every time a note is sent.

For example Blue Arp has a "restart on" function and can be set to trigger on play, note, beat etc.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you mixing down to a wav file with the same sample rate you're using in sound device preferences?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

In principle, you have already given the answer yourself. Restart on key is a solution. That's how I use it in my Korg Triton vst.

Another solution is bounce to audio track. Then the vst and the starting point no longer have any effect.

In my opinion, the DAW itself can't do anything about it. The vst plugin decides how to handle its own ARP sequence. Some drum sequencers plugins also have problems with this. Bounce to audio track is always the solution.

Btw there are also similar going on with effects. A delay, for example, sounds different if you start at different points. But it's not that noticeable because after a few bars it sounds the same again, depending from the delay time.

Patrick
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:45 pm Hi,

Are you mixing down to a wav file with the same sample rate you're using in sound device preferences?

Greg
Yes, of course. Everything is always set to the same sample rate across all apps on my PC.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

ppayne wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:30 am In principle, you have already given the answer yourself. Restart on key is a solution. That's how I use it in my Korg Triton vst.

Another solution is bounce to audio track. Then the vst and the starting point no longer have any effect.

In my opinion, the DAW itself can't do anything about it. The vst plugin decides how to handle its own ARP sequence. Some drum sequencers plugins also have problems with this. Bounce to audio track is always the solution.

Btw there are also similar going on with effects. A delay, for example, sounds different if you start at different points. But it's not that noticeable because after a few bars it sounds the same again, depending from the delay time.

Patrick
I'll look into that, thanks. I may have to include bouncing tracks as part of my routine workflow going forward due to the volatility of many of the VSTs I work with. I've always had issues with going back to a project and finding things not working/sounding as before. I managed to get to the bottom of some them with the MIDI channels and EastWest libraries. But there's always something.

But thanks again, that's a big help.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

ppayne wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:30 am In principle, you have already given the answer yourself. Restart on key is a solution. That's how I use it in my Korg Triton vst.

Patrick
Does anyone know if this can be done in Messiah 2 and ME80?
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

If Messiah doesn't support this, you could deactivate and activate the arp before your song starts. Maybe this parameter can be automated in Messiah. Then you could deactivate the arp and start it once on beat 1. Maybe that will help to get everything in sync.