Buzzing

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Nightfire

Buzzing

Post by Nightfire »

Ok, Im running my guitar into my amp, a cable from my amp headphone/lineout jack to my soundcard. It sounds good and clean coming through my speakers, but after I recorded it and i listen to it there's a buzzing, almost like a distortion mildly. Turning down volume to record doenst help either...

Mike
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

You are physically connecting two devices that use AC power. Try a ground lift on the amp.
It is always better to use a microphone for recording a guitar running through an amp, this will take care of the noise issue.
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

Sorry Im new to all of this, what does a ground lift mean? My mic is pretty wellfare, if theres any way to make the buzzing go away without using the mic I'd like to explore that option first.
Thanks,
Mike
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

A ground lift means to disconnect the ground on one of the power cords. Usually with one of those small things that converts three prong plugs to two prong plugs. That disconnects the ground wire.
Here's a picture of one.
http://www.american-allergy-supply.com/ ... 20plug.jpg
Gman

Post by Gman »

If you have a Strat style guitar (with single coil pickups), stay away from your computer monitor! The buzz is horrendous. Humbucker dual coil pickups are not as bad, but still introduce some hum.

(And I like to do all my guitar recordings with a line in, not a mic. Eric and I have agreed to disagree here, but Eric has quite a large amount of experience in this area.)