midi controller

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dama

midi controller

Post by dama »

What's a good controller keyboard that works well with Mixcraft 7? I'm looking for an inexpensive one for under $130 or so. I would need any more than 49 keys maybe less. I'm a keyboard player and I'm a beginner with midi and recording. Not really into the Electric Dance Music stuff though. Looking for something kind of light and portable.

Thanks for your help.
Rolling Estonian

Re: midi controller

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Here's a pic of a part of my humble setup. I'm not a keyboard player so I use the Korg Microkey37 with the Korg Nanokontrol, works great for my needs.

M
Attachments
rsz_imag5338.jpg
rsz_imag5338.jpg (201.56 KiB) Viewed 12473 times
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I'm happy using an Alesis Q49
mick

Post by mick »

I've been able to map vb3 drawbars/ mixer sliders/ synth knobs etc to my Nektar LX 61 also available as LX 49 for about $100
next up the ladder would be a Roland keyboard for the price you mention and more $$$'s if you want a Roland with sliders (drawbars) Try downloading the PDF for a keyboard before making a decision.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Whatever you decide is obviously OK but if I were to have a do over -- re: my purchase of a Yamaha YPT-340 -- I would get something with a mod wheel or two, even if it cost a little more. Weighted keys would be nice too but so far, I can humanize the velocity with no problems.
mick

Post by mick »

I agree with AHornsby, for instance you can map the mod wheel to the main mixer track so if the transport controls are out of sight (meaning nearly always hint hint) you don't have to go fishing to adjust the main volume, its always available. The advantage of sliders too is that they can be mapped to the mixer channels so I would consider finding one with sliders and knobs, on the nektar there are 9 sliders so you can have a 16 track mixer control 8 + 8 on banks 1&2 and the 9th can be the main mixer volume if you don't want the to use the mod wheel. A button below each slider where you can map these to mute or solo the respective track so you may wish to consider these things too. There are other keyboards with similar functions out there and of course the korg nano control (or similar) can be used or added later to a basic keyboard for the same $$$'s
Last edited by mick on Sat May 30, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

I have an M-Audio Keyrig 49 that I recommend to all my friends.The keys have a good velocity range and don't feel as cheep as you would expect for the price.Also it's been bullet proof so far,,,I've been beating on it playing MIDI drums for a couple of years now, and I have two teenagers that borrow it from the studio all the time.Hard to beat for the price.
dama

Post by dama »

Thanks for all your suggestions-it is very helpful.

I think the 49 keys will be good for me. I like the looks of the Nectar, as well as the others mentioned. I went to GC today to take a look. They said I could bring in my laptop to try them out. I"ll that soon. I was just noting how the different key beds felt.I'm thinking that having some sliders and knobs could be more functional also.

the Alesis V49 49-Key USB MIDI Pad/Keyboard Controller, looks interesting since it has pads and is small for a good sized 49 key.
also:
M-Audio Oxygen 49 49-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller, there seems to be more expensive newer version though
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

Beware of the Oxygen line from M-Audio...........Just sayin._____I will elaborate if you want.
dama

Post by dama »

ok please tell me. you mentioned the keyrig 49 model. Do you miss having more controls - sliders, pads, knobs, etc.

i tried the samson carbon brand/model but that felt cheap.
mick

Post by mick »

All keyboards at this price range are pretty much the same quality but some do feel cheap, I have an old Evolution 25 key that must be at least 10 years old and there is no mechanical key pivot, the key action relies on the flexibility of a plastic "tongue" so if that fractures by way of fatigue then the keyboard is bin fodder. The keys are a joke really, you can move them side to side dead easy and they rattle like a snake. In comparison the Nektar keys feel 100 times better, so keep looking and keep trying them personally.
outteh

Post by outteh »

I believe your going to want as many wheels and sliders as you can get along with velocity sensitive keys. This way it doubles as a controller and keyboard.
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

I have an M-Audio Axiom 49 that i really like . It has weighted keys and all the bells and whistles you could ask for but I dont like hammering on it to play drums.That why I went out and bought the keyrig model that i mentioned earlier.The keys work and feel better than I expected ...same with the pitch and mod wheels.Only problem is that lately every time i reach for it one of my kids have it in their rooms.

I decided to get another inexpensive one and just dare them to touch it.That when I tried an Oxygen 25. Wish I had tried it in the store and saved myself the return trip.The thing feels like a toy and it turns out that the pads are not assignable.
I ended up getting an Akai MPK Mini but it may be going back too,,,not a fan of the small keys, and the pads feel cheep.

Bottom line from my experience...M-Audio Keyrig 49 ,and Axiom 49 are well worth the money, but the Oxygen model not so much.
dama

Post by dama »

Thank you all for all that information. Thanks J.Gretch for elaborating on the Oxygen model. I am considering the keyrig model. Any other thoughts are welcome.
dama

Post by dama »

this one has got my attention. "Novation Launchkey 49" $99.00. Anyone using it?