collabs thread permission

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gypsy101

collabs thread permission

Post by gypsy101 »

denied. :shock:
TrevsAudio

Re: collabs thread permission

Post by TrevsAudio »

Yeah, me too - and I suggested it! :lol:

I PM'ed Greg so hopefully it will be fixed soon.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Me too on the permission denied thingy.

By the way, nice suggestion Trevor.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try it now and let me know if it works for you.

I was wondering why there were no posts. :D

Greg
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

It's working for me now.
Thanks

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Greg, I've just tried to make a post in that section with the inclusion of an MX6 file but permission for the file extension was denied.

I'm not sure if people will require this or if it will be easier using external hosting, or if there is an option to allow the attachment of mx6 files?

Gary
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It should work now! Good idea.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I suspect we will run into file size problems trying to post them directly via the forum. Whats the limit Greg?

I am no authority or wiz, but I have participated in a number of forums that have attempted to launch this kind of thing, and experienced the multiple obstacles.
Some thoughts:

Beyond the above mentioned file size issue, there seems to often be confusion, chaos and complication using various drop box and sharing sites. I would suggest we try to keep it to a simple few common sites and are prepared to help/tutor others in their use it will really help with the success of this "project."

Many people take their projects very seriously. This is fine, but you have to accept some sacrifices on your "ownership" of any project or portions if you publicly share them in this manner. If the collaboration is just for fun and education, say so. These are often the best ones IMO.
If however you are working on a "serious" project, and looking for serious collaborators, make that clear as well.
I would add another opinion, that many times the people who express the strongest feelings about the need to copyright and protect their work are usually the ones whose works needs it the least.......just sayin'.........
We do have to use some caution in respecting the copyright of commercial work though. No stealing.

My favorite collaborative projects are basically crowdsourcing fun.
I would suggest (and intend to) post a backing track or rough project, and invite anyone to play along and add whatever feels right. Jam along if you like. Hopefully we can collect a number of additions and have a bunch of "stems" to play with and practice editing and mixing and have some fun with this!

I think thats all I have for now......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The file size limit for attachments is 256 KB, so this will only be useful for small MIDI-only projects. If you have something larger to share, you'll have to find alternate means, and of course, as experienced Mixcraft users know, the project file does not include any audio, so participants with projects that include audio will have to figure out a way to exchange zip files (some of which may be very large indeed). We're not providing a means of doing that at this time, but there are plenty of file hosting services out there.

Greg

P.S. For any newcomers reading this, you can choose "Copy Project Files" from Mixcraft's File menu in order to create a zip file that contains all the files included in the project.
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Still getting this Greg :(
Gary
My Soundcloud
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, it should work now. Enabling that turned out to be a two step process. :)

Greg
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Okay, it should work now. Enabling that turned out to be a two step process. :)

Greg
Yep, that's working, thank you Greg :)
Gary
My Soundcloud
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

mbliss wrote:I suspect we will run into file size problems trying to post them directly via the forum. Whats the limit Greg?

I am no authority or wiz, but I have participated in a number of forums that have attempted to launch this kind of thing, and experienced the multiple obstacles.
Some thoughts:

Beyond the above mentioned file size issue, there seems to often be confusion, chaos and complication using various drop box and sharing sites. I would suggest we try to keep it to a simple few common sites and are prepared to help/tutor others in their use it will really help with the success of this "project."
Soundcloud is easy & you can upload in different formats-mp3,WAV,etc but w/ the free one you can't just update a song,you have to delete or add another & slightly tweak the song title a bit.I found Dropbox to be a pain in the butt depending on file size & internet download/upload speed.for me it's usually easist to send an mp3 file via email & you send back a .WAV file if it's just a single part like bass for instance.since we're all MC users here then I guess a .zip file w/ MC files would work-I haven't tried it yet.

Many people take their projects very seriously. This is fine, but you have to accept some sacrifices on your "ownership" of any project or portions if you publicly share them in this manner. If the collaboration is just for fun and education, say so. These are often the best ones IMO.
If however you are working on a "serious" project, and looking for serious collaborators, make that clear as well.
I would add another opinion, that many times the people who express the strongest feelings about the need to copyright and protect their work are usually the ones whose works needs it the least.......just sayin'.........
We do have to use some caution in respecting the copyright of commercial work though. No stealing.
there's definitely a difference between "collaboration" & "contribution" and that should be made clear @ the beginning. as to Copyrights,see the Copyright thread in the user showcase section.

My favorite collaborative projects are basically crowdsourcing fun.
I would suggest (and intend to) post a backing track or rough project, and invite anyone to play along and add whatever feels right. Jam along if you like. Hopefully we can collect a number of additions and have a bunch of "stems" to play with and practice editing and mixing and have some fun with this!

I think thats all I have for now......
:wink: