Mixcraft 7 likes and dislikes

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

mick

Post by mick »

Yesterday I had a little grumble about the performance panel being too dark and the playback caret too, so I should extend those comments with what I do like because its very obvious Acoustica has been very creative - and busy!
Mixcraft 7 communicates with the user! The muted track shades to gray (very stylish!) and the track crosshatching is oh-so-pretty! :D
The setup panel is :D
The step editor is wicked and dead easy but I haven't sussed it out completely yet. :D
The track colours are much better. :D
The control surface feature I used - to map some parameters to the keys on a old evolution 25 key keyboard with unbelievable ease. :D
The performance panel I'm still working on because I don't fully understand its purpose just yet, - and I don't know if this is an OFC moment of imagination but the first time I used MX7 I could swear the sound quality is better. Maybe Acoustica can set me right on this?
I also like that it has features that are commonly used on a day to day basis, unlike the DAW I deleted yesterday after lying dormant for months that has an unbelievable amount of menus and sub menus that make no real sense. I'm still on a fact finding mission but don't find it in the least bit taxing in any way whatsoever. 8)
Now for the dislikes : . . . . . . . .
End of message. :wink:
TrevsAudio

Re: Mixcraft 7 likes and dislikes

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi Mick!

I pm'ed Grag about the performance panel and here is his reply..

Hi Trevor,

It's for people who want to use Mixcraft for live performance. They have grid controllers like the Novation Launchpad. You load clips into the grid, then trigger them and they play over your project. The clips will wait to play until they are on beat after you trigger them. If you don't have a grid controller, you can click the MIDI button at the top of Mixcraft to map keys to the grid squares, or map the set at the top of the columns to play the whole column.

It's a whole new use for Mixcraft's loops. Of course, the OFC might not have much use for it, but it can be fun to play around with it.

You can also arm it and record your performance.

Greg

My only gripe so far is when in piano roll and lasso-ing or highlighting MIDI notes, the notes turn from light blue to a lighter blue (MX 6 is almost black). Just makes for better contrast for OFC users like myself :mrgreen:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In regard to sound quality, there shouldn't have been a change between build 227 and build 228. Check your sound device preferences, headphones, ears, etc.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Also... thanks for the positive feedback! It's nice to know what we're doing right, instead of just what we're doing wrong.
mick

Post by mick »

Thanks Trev. :wink:
Greg wrote.
Also... thanks for the positive feedback! It's nice to know what we're doing right, instead of just what we're doing wrong.
You're welcome. :D
chibear

Post by chibear »

Since there is a thread devoted to it, I figured I'd move this post from the stickey (written after using b228):

After Playing with it a few days now, WOW I'm impressed!

It's rock solid stable. I tried everything I could think of to overload or crash it and was only successful once and then couldn't reproduce it. This is a biggie. I've watched as different DAWs have gone from 32 to 64 bit and there always seems to be a period where this or that issue must be solved. Apparently FL studio is still trying.

A built-in wrapper that works seamlessly to bring in the 32 bit Plugins. From what I've been able to gather from Task Manager it runs the 32 bit VSTs as separate processes outside of Mixcraft, the opposite of what those of us who are jBridge owners did. This bridge has no hiccups that I could produce at least. All of us who were running Jbridge can give it to our nephews. We don't need it anymore.

The Automation recorder is slick and the fact that you can have more than one automation visible at a time rather than having to flip through possibilities is a big plus when automating multiple inter-related parameters.

The plugin manager: I didn't realize how much I wanted that till I tried it.

The step sequencer in the piano roll is just what I needed. The ability to choose the 4 notes from the keyboard I need out of possible 30 brushed drum sounds and work with those ONLY is an absolute delight.

AND I could go on and on.

Sure there are a bunch of tiny things to still fix but those are miniscule compare to what is already done. A big BRAVO to the Acoustica team.

and BTW I like the gray :D
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
davefk

Post by davefk »

I cant stand that cheap alarm clock looking font for the transport bar which is Mixcraft 6 as well. There are far nicer system fonts that could be used.

In a large project its sometimes difficult to see the playback indicator as it is a black moving line on a black background. Mixcraft 6 had a white background so it was easier to see. I like the black background on Mixcraft 7, so could you add the option to make the playback indicator white?

I like the new colour schemes and the introduction of samplers. I also like the way the 64bit version just seems to be a lot smoother in use. as well as less buggy and prone to crashing.
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

I love everything about MC7 and can't wait for the official release party :D :lol:

Except the lack of a midi sync clock :( I know I'm harping on about it a bit but it is a biggy to me.
If I want to record any accompaniment from my keyboard via audio or midi, it is required to eliminate tempo drift (Matching tempos isn't enough). Without this, editing is a pain as it all has to be done with 'Snap Off' and no Quantising as the gridlines will never match the music ;)
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
joemac58

Post by joemac58 »

I agree the background should be a lighter color this helps me to work quicker but it might be old eyes to.
chibear

Post by chibear »

I've spent quite a bit of time with b229 and asid from Davefk's bug I have found nothing else. I have compiled a list of things I think could be tweeked. Some have been discussed, some not. BTW the gushes of my previous post still stand :D

1.New Project Settings dialog. Don't know why this bothers me so much, but it seems unbalanced.
Suggest remove the Load Template button and make a 'Choose Template drop-down as with 'Load existing Project”. I use more than one template. I would imagine those who do also have more than one.

2. UI: Selected clip needs to be brighter (or unselected less bright. On my screen (and with my old eyes) it is difficult to pick out the selected clip quickly

3. Step sequencer: The ability to stretch the values in the sequencer to multiple step. Example.: I input a clip via he step sequencer snapping to eights. I want to add some syncopation so I want values of 1/16, 1/8, 1/16. Right now I'm limited to 1/16, 1/16/ 1/16 rest, 1/16. (Obviously I'm thinking beyond drum maps.

4. Entering/editing CC#11 data. Either make the piano roll be able to produce straight lines and curves when entering data or provide the ability to use automation to enter CC#11 maps.

5. Plugin Manager: Make Collections visible immediately when pressing 'Choose Instrument' rather than also press “Show Details'

6. UI: Make the position marker line (with the green caret on top) some other color than black. Suggest Fluorescent Orange :D

7. Piano Roll: MIDI Editing: Humanize: Is pretty useless as is Either provide 'Max Distance' to 1/256 or (Better) provide ability to randomize a percentage as in Note Velocities.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Brother Charles

Post by Brother Charles »

Please go back to a lighter background such as seen in MX 5 & 6. I really find the new color scheme too dark. There is such excellent contrast in MX 6.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

I like the "lock" -whether to choose fader orstandard volume level in submix tracks.

the fx user preset chain retention is still not working. this is my main issue w/ both MC6 & will be the ultimate decision maker as to whether I upgrade to MC7 or not.

I haven't had time to get into the midi side much but maybe tonight I'll pull out the Yamaha electronic drum kit & see how it behaves w/ a real e-kit as opposed to drums done w/ a midi keyboard controller. :twisted:
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

the fx user preset chain retention is still not working. this is my main issue w/ both MC6 & will be the ultimate decision maker as to whether I upgrade to MC7 or not.
To what are you referring? What problems are you having with FX chains?

Dan
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Acoustica Dan wrote:
To what are you referring? What problems are you having with FX chains?

Dan
Dan,

That would be bug 5316, I believe.

Greg
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Well, good news then! I've fixed thisfor the next Beta release, Build 231.

Dan