Question about latency

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

Question about latency

Post by marc32123 »

I am using my Scarlett 2i2, and I am in ASIO.

I am wondering, is a 10.02 (millseconds) latency good/bad?

My sample rate is 44100, and my buffer size is 442.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Question about latency

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When you record, do you notice a delay? Is the delay impacting your recording? If not, don't worry about it unless you're experiencing audio skipping.

Greg
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Greg beat me to it but I was also going to say that if you start worrying about bit depth, sample rates latency ms, you're going to drive yourself nuts! Unless it's affecting your sound, don't worry about it too much. Having said that, some numbers are worth paying attention to but not worth making you crazy.

M
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

I don't really know if I am experiencing delay or not. It doesn't seem like it with most instruments, but maybe with a few of the different sounds I'm not sure. But I don't know if it is a slight delay I am hearing, because I don't really have a norm to compare it with.

Is 10 milliseconds about as low as it gets when recording? Or are there some people running at like 1 or something?

Post by 7915983 »

If I play my cards right, I can get to 3ms.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Latency refers to the lag between when the audio enters your computer and when you actually hear it. If you're trying to play along to the metronome, and it takes a second before the sound you're creating is heard, that would make it hard to keep in time. On the other hand, if you were just recording something and you didn't need to listen to it to stay in time, then latency doesn't matter in the least.

If you set the latency setting to 1, you'll get audio skipping, so try to find a setting that gives you smooth playback without a huge delay. A good setting depends on your computer configuration and whether you even need to care about latency at all. If you don't care about latency, having a higher latency setting might be desirable.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

In short: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Ok Greg I got you.
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Sami Seif wrote:If I play my cards right, I can get to 3ms.
So how do you play them to get to 3ms?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you're using ASIO mode, click the Open Mixer option in Mixcraft's sound device preferences and lower your buffer or latency setting there.

If you notice that the audio is not playing back smoothly, raise the setting until it is.

Greg
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Marc,

you do not specify what it is you are recording, which may result in different answers.

A) Let us assume, you record real instruments first.

Your audio interface (A/D converters, front-end processing, data transfer) takes its time. This cannot possibly happen without latency, but the DAW knows about that. Subsequent track recordings should thus always be in sync.

The only exception I noticed is when you use CPU consuming reverbs such as impulse response reverbs during recording.
The DAW sometimes cannot fathom the delay and the tracks are out of sync. Keep effect load small during this stage.

Your audio interface also needs time to convert binary data back to sound, so avoid to monitor the input signal during recording since this will inevitably produce audible lag, although the tracks may not necessarily appear out of sync on playback.

Use a hardware (outboard mixer) solution to monitor your recordings in real time.

B) You use MIDI.

The latency of MIDI throughput is probably small compared to audio conversion because of the infinitely small information transfer. However, your soft synth might contribute considerable delay in real time, which can be a real pain during live recording.

Again, use a CPU friendly simple virtual instrument or use an outboard cheapo sound generator.
Make sure you can monitor your guitar, voice, keyboard or whatever over an external hardware device, which is latency-free and leave the conversion delay to the DAW. Read on latency-free recording on SOS.

-helmut
C# or Bb!

Post by 7915983 »

marc32123 wrote:
Sami Seif wrote:If I play my cards right, I can get to 3ms.
So how do you play them to get to 3ms?
I use the exclusive mode in WaveRT, oh and I should mention that I'm recording MIDI.
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Hey guys, I have been doing some research on latency. I really want to learn what I can do to get the least amount as possible.

I have the Scarlett 2i2, and was just reading the manual again and it talks about latency. It says that:

"You will frequently hear the term “latency” used in connection with digital audio systems. In the case
of the simple recording application described above, latency will be the time it takes for your input
signals to pass through your recording device (your Mac or PC) and the associated software. Latency
can be a problem for a performer who wishes to record while monitoring their input signals.
Scarlett Solo is fitted with a “Direct Monitoring” option, which overcomes this problem. Setting the
front panel DIRECT MONITOR switch to ON will route your input signals directly to Scarlett Solo’s
headphone and main monitor outputs. This enables you to hear yourself with zero latency – i.e., in
“real time” – along with the computer playback. The input signals to your computer are not affected
in any way by this setting."

So, my question is, if I set the direct monitoring swich to on on my scarlett 2i2, will this do away with all latency so I truly have "zero latency" like it says? By the way, I listen to myself when recording with my studio monitors instead of headphones, not really sure if that makes a difference anyways though...
outteh

Post by outteh »

Yes, in theory you have zero latency. However, you will be hearing the raw guitar or microphone signal, no effects or any other features added in Mixcraft, while recording. This may be he only drawback.
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Ok, couple other questions. If I have the direct monitoring switch set to on on my Scarlett 2i2, should I have the "monitor incoming audio" switch button in Mixcraft also on?

Also, in the manual of the Scarlett 2i2, it says:

"When “Direct Monitoring” is set to ON, ensure that your DAW software is not set to route its input
(what you are currently recording) to its output. If it is, you will hear yourself “twice”, with one signal
audibly delayed as an echo."

What does this mean? How do I ensure that Mixcraft isn't set to route it's input to it's output?