Mixcraft 9 not recognizing plugins

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

caksnow

Mixcraft 9 not recognizing plugins

Post by caksnow »

Hi,

I have two drives...the one with the PC C: and then an extra one, E:. I've been putting many of my plugins on the second drive each in its own folder. Mixcraft 10 apparently wont let me add the root E: drive for scanning, so I added a handful of these plug-in folders in "edit vst/vsti folders" (e.g. E:\RA_ANGUS, E:\Vintage Horns, E:\Native Instruments Library) and scanned for them. None are picked up either in the "ALL" category or VSTi instruments" categories. What am I missing? Is it an easy fix?

I have no trouble accessing these in Cubase from the second drive. Im hoping I can make the switch to Mixcraft as Cubase has been a bear to learn and work out many problems.

Thanks!

Tony
Barth

Re: Mixcraft 10 not recognizing plugins

Post by Barth »

Hello, I have done the test and it has worked for me, when you choose drive, (Preferences-Plug-ins-Edit VST/VSTi Folders and then "Add") do not choose drive E: but choose a folder on this drive and it will accept it.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

First, if you're running a 32-bit version of Mixcraft, it won't find 64-bit plugins. Mixcraft 8 Home Studio is 32-bit, for other versions, look in the title bar of Mixcraft to see whether you're running 32- or 64-bit Mixcraft.

Next, not all DLL files are VST audio plugin files. Complex plugins contain both DLL files that aren't audio plugin files and DLL files that are VST. Mixcraft only needs to know where the VST DLL files are. That's why we don't allow you to search the root directory, because Mixcraft would have to waste a bunch of time sorting through all the thousands of DLL files on your computer to find the audio plugin VST DLL files. If a plugin has an installer, it will generally ask you where to put the VST files. Those folders are the only ones that should be in the "Edit VST/VSTi Folders" list. Generally, those folders will have "VST" somewhere in the pathname.

A few common locations would be:

\Program Files\VST\
\Program Files\VSTplugins\
\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTplugins\
\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTplugins 64 bit\

But you could also have a Z:\VST folder if you want. It's good to put them in a VST folder, just so you know which DLL files are VST DLL files and which are not. Note that complex plugins might not function properly if you just randomly move them around, they may have supporting library or other files that they need to function, uninstalling them and then installing them to the new location is best.

Finally, if any of the plugins are VST3, they should go here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Or 32-bit VST3 plug-ins on 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

That is part of the standard for VST3 plugins.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

? What is this "Mixcraft 10" you speak of? I don't see the memo.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
caksnow

Post by caksnow »

mixyguy2 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:26 pm ? What is this "Mixcraft 10" you speak of? I don't see the memo.
Big oops! Sorry to freak you out. I meant Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio.

Im sure 10 will come out when it's ready to walk!

:D
caksnow

Post by caksnow »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:54 pm Hi,

First, if you're running a 32-bit version of Mixcraft, it won't find 64-bit plugins. Mixcraft 8 Home Studio is 32-bit, for other versions, look in the title bar of Mixcraft to see whether you're running 32- or 64-bit Mixcraft.

Next, not all DLL files are VST audio plugin files. Complex plugins contain both DLL files that aren't audio plugin files and DLL files that are VST. Mixcraft only needs to know where the VST DLL files are. That's why we don't allow you to search the root directory, because Mixcraft would have to waste a bunch of time sorting through all the thousands of DLL files on your computer to find the audio plugin VST DLL files. If a plugin has an installer, it will generally ask you where to put the VST files. Those folders are the only ones that should be in the "Edit VST/VSTi Folders" list. Generally, those folders will have "VST" somewhere in the pathname.

Or 32-bit VST3 plug-ins on 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

That is part of the standard for VST3 plugins.

Greg
Thank you, Greg. I am using Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio 64 bit build. I'm doing a re-check of all the vst plugins that do and do not appear from my separate E: drive. There's hundreds to go through and see where they are located. Pretty much all of them are VST3 and also 64 ready due to the block from Cubase which I had been trying to use. I must be doing something wrong with Mixcraft as they all (or almost all) appear in Cubase.

Tony
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Another thing to check: click on the File menu and select Manage Plug-Ins. Make sure they are not disabled. If they are, add a check mark, click OK and then restart Mixcraft.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101