Trigger kick drum from a track

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Jimolson

Trigger kick drum from a track

Post by Jimolson »

Can someone please tell me how to load a bass drum sample into a project & trigger it from a track. I recorded a full live band with horns and the entire drum kit sounds good, but the kick track is full of noise.
Thanks in advance
jwarv

Re: Trigger kick drum from a track

Post by jwarv »

Jimolson wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:36 pm Can someone please tell me how to load a bass drum sample into a project & trigger it from a track. I recorded a full live band with horns and the entire drum kit sounds good, but the kick track is full of noise.
Thanks in advance
You could convert the kick audio into midi and place kick samples in there. With noise there may be some off notes, but you only have one note to worry about, so you can snap them into place. Unless you tried that already. In that case, I don't know the answer. Sorry.
Last edited by jwarv on Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am aware of dedicated drum replacement plug-ins, but cant recommend any specific one as I have no personal experience with them.
You might try a general Youtube search for "Drum replacement" or "Drum trigger" and find some tutorials/recommendations.
I know some use "Drumagogg" or I think Slate makes one called "Trigger" but those might be high-end/pricey. Surely there is an economy substitute for the hobbiest.
And as @Jwarv points out, it may be possible natively in Mixcraft, I am not certain.
(His tip would require the 'Pro Studio' version and/or Melodyne functionality BTW)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Jimolson wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:36 pm ...trigger it from a track
Need a little more information. Is the bass drum already isolated and recorded on it's own track? Take a look at the following thread (last few posts in the thread address a similar situation). This is based on the requirement Mark Bliss mentioned.

https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?t=29088

Do you already have a MIDI track of the kick? You can load any sample into alpha sampler or omni sample and map a specific MIDI key to trigger the sample if you have MIDI information.

An old, no cost method I used was through my keyboard's sustain pedal. I mapped the sustain pedal to play the standard GM MIDI bass kick C2 whenever I stepped on it. I then used the above Omni sampler with a sampled kick loaded into C2. Whenever I would step on the sustain pedal - "kick!" This assumes you have some kind of midi keyboard with a sustain pedal. If you have a keyboard of any kind then just play the key C2 mapped to omni sampler.

If you have a controller you could do something similar. Play along with the recorded production but map the controller pad to a kick in Omni sampler and record it on it's own track. This would be in post production so you can fine tune the playing.

If you don't want to use a sampled drum, you can use the built in kits that come with Mixcraft or if you have a drum VST, use the kit from that. Just play that C2 key in time and record it as MIDI. No matte what you do, once you have the MIDI performance recorded you are open to almost anything.
Jimolson

Post by Jimolson »

Thanks everyone for the help & responses.
I have so much random noise coming through the kick drum performance track, when I converted the track to MIDI, there was massive random events that triggered the kick drum all over the place.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Jimolson wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:16 pm Thanks everyone for the help & responses.
I have so much random noise coming through the kick drum performance track, when I converted the track to MIDI, there was massive random events that triggered the kick drum all over the place.
Oh man. I wonder if triggering would even work in that case. Crazy thought. Any way you could play along with the track on a controller? That may be your best bet. As undesirable as that may be. :?
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

can you post the kick track as an mp3 or something so we can hear how noisy it is? You may be able to tame it with a noise gate and a low pass filter; mix to new track then convert the new track to MIDI
DavidMcKnight

Post by DavidMcKnight »

Many of the drum replacement VSTs will have a trial period. I've used Addictive Trigger from Addictive Drums pretty extensively on an EP I'm working on, and man is it great. Lots of adjustments for threshold, bleed, EQ, etc. Search them out and give it a try. If you can wait for Black Friday they seem to always run a 50% sale.
MX 9 Pro, 64-bit. DIY PC w/ i5, Gigabyte Mobo, 16GB, Windows 10. DIY desk from HomeStudioGuy. Behringer 1820. M-Audio LX-4 monitors. Dyna-Bass 5-string. Strat w EMGs. Seagull acoustic. R0de NT1-A, Behringer C2. M-Audio controller. 27 miles of cable.
BanjoGuy55

Post by BanjoGuy55 »

There's a plugin available at Plugin Alliance from SPL called DrumXchanger. https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... anger.html

I've not tried it, but plan to. A 14-day trial is available. If you like it, don't let the price stop you. P-A often runs sales. Many of their plugins were $29.99 or less just last week. Check out the videos, too.