Aux Buses & Master Bus

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

neuralmix

Aux Buses & Master Bus

Post by neuralmix »

Hey folks,

I've been struggling on this, and I don'T know if A) I'm doing something wrong, B) I'm expecting results from misunderstanding the concept of Buses, or C) Mixcraft's ability to handle buses might be buggy. Either way, my question is:

I've sent all my guitar tracks to a Aux Bus so I can add overall EQ to the gtrs and play with the fader, but when I adjusted the master volume, I saw the gtrs bus staying the same. Actually, if I bring the master bus to silence, the guitars go on. I thought I would just have to look into maybe sending the Gtrs Bus to the Master Bus, but it doesn't give me any option of that kind.

Just in case: I did not use a Submix track because some guitars are already in their own submix groups, and I can't (and don't expect to) nest submix tracks.

Maybe I've got the concept of buses all wrong too. But for the moment, I'm manually dipping 3 dB on the buses (such as the Gtrs Bus) if I drop 3 dB on the Master bus so that everything equates, and I'm wondering if there's a simpler solution :)
Larioso

Re: Aux Buses & Master Bus

Post by Larioso »

Output track go directly to hardware outs - and go beside main mix.

To come around this I skipped using main mix track at all.
And created an output track that I called MasterMix.

Then redirect all outs to that track(except those that are part of submix tracks).
Easiest place is in mixer view.

What you win by this is two nested levels of buses.
Both submix and send tracks kan be directed to output bus.

And you still get everything through that MasterMix track and can place limiter and stuff there. I checked, these tracks are rendered when doing mixdowns.

So look out if doing cue tracks for monitoring - these need to be disabled in one way or another before doing mixdown. Best way I found is to always go through a sendtrack first, and let this go to output track. Then you can mute sendtrack doing mixdown.
--- W7 Pro x64 -- i7 2.8GHz 16G -- MC7 x64 -- RME HDSP 9632 ---
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

neuroxik wrote: I've been struggling on this, and I don'T know if A) I'm doing something wrong, B) I'm expecting results from misunderstanding the concept of Buses, or C) Mixcraft's ability to handle buses might be buggy.
Not absolutely sure I understand your description, but see if anything here helps and let us know.
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... 12&t=12572
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
neuralmix

Post by neuralmix »

larioso wrote:...And created an output track that I called MasterMix.
Then redirect all outs to that track(except those that are part of submix tracks)...
I'll try reproduce that later when I get access in the day, thanks for explaining. I'm having trouble visualizing right now where the extra nesting level comes in compared to what I'm doing at the moment, unless the 2 levels of nest comprise of "MasterMix" -> Groups --> Individual tracks. I guess what I was aiming for was 3 levels, but I'll definitely give your technique a try later in the day to see if it accomplishes that!
Mark Bliss wrote:Not absolutely sure I understand your description, but see if anything here helps and let us know.
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... 12&t=12572
I've read your presentation which is quite impressive and clean, unfortunately not what I'm looking for but thanks!
Larioso

Post by Larioso »

You're right - it would be three nested levels with tracks.
And counting audio tracks on multiout VSTi - 4 levels for those children too.

I just checked - you can put multiout VSTi inside a submix too.

So wanting a single stereo bus out for the full mix - using output tracks instead of Main/Master Mix track seems like a good solution.

So just hoping devs will not consider this a bug that this is rendered at mixdown - at least give the option if routed to default outs that it remains that way.
--- W7 Pro x64 -- i7 2.8GHz 16G -- MC7 x64 -- RME HDSP 9632 ---