All Cover songs done for my bands demo cd

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

All Cover songs done for my bands demo cd

Post by Acoustica Eric »

As explained in a different thread, we recorded 7 songs one night at practice in order to make a demo cd to get jobs at clubs. They are all mixed and ready for download.
Remember, most of this was recorded in one take, so ignore the following:
Out of tune in places,
Bad vocals in places,
Not the greatest mix on the planet.
http://www.bottomfeeders.servebeer.com/ ... /music.php
About half way down the page, 7 songs with 2007 next to them.
tinktink

Post by tinktink »

ok,
possum kingdom, far behind, and lovin' touchin' squeezin' are all some of my favorite songs. You guys rocked them hard! I love that guitar sound. it's so crunchy without being so distorted that it loses definition. the singer is great, as well. good stuff right there! kudos!
________
S-Max
________
Kawasaki VN1500R
Last edited by tinktink on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
tinktink

Post by tinktink »

for some reason, my computer hasn't been showing that there have been new posts/replies on these forums, so i haven't been checking.....

I have to say, "change" is amazing. I assume that's you singing? If so, you have a quality to your voice that reminds me of corey taylor from slipknot/stone sour. great voice! Plus, the guitar is just MAD. you really know how to build a solo. damn. legato for days. that and "haunting" are probably my favorites. I love harmonized solos/melodies. you rock, dude!
________
Toyota Land Cruiser Prado history
________
List of Ford platforms picture
Last edited by tinktink on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Thanks Tink!

Yes, change is me singing. And all the other originals from my site.
http://www.ericvanlandingham.com
(shameless self promotion)

I will let the guitar player in Bottom Feeders know that you liked his tone, and yes I think our singer is awesome too :-)
He has never been in a band before, and just started sitting in with us once in a while at a certain club.
Now he is a natural on stage and on the mic.

Thanks for the guitar compliments too, I do try :-)
R0ckerb0y

Post by R0ckerb0y »

On "Far Behind" from Candlebox.

I remember in the summer of 1996 laying under the cooling evening stars staring at the sky after a 105 degree day in the Estecada timber bowl during Rockfest 1 when Candlebox was the lead act.

The moment they started to play Far Behind was one of the most magical memories I have and even 11 years later I'm still taken back to that time when I hear that song.

You guys captured that awesomely.

It's a LOT easier to grind out a rock song in close proximity to the original, but when you're playing something like this where every note stands on it's own in a tapestry of amazing sound you have to hit it perfect or nothing, in both tone and emotion. NICE WORK.

Ok, now for my Randy Jackson advice:

The solo wasn't good dog.

Some solos you can get away with freeforming. (For instance, 99% of what Kirk Hammet does can just be splattered over a fretboard in any fashion and if you hit 4 or 5 key phrases it's fine.)

Far Behind however has the kind of solo that even Non-Musical people can hum in their head, and they do every time that song plays. When you got to the solo and I started to hum it in my head and aside from the 4 or 5 key phrases I found myself humming left while the guitarist played right.

The singer did a great job of emulating Candlebox's singer (Kevin Martin?) but it sounded like he was just about at the limits of his higher register as he didn't hang on the high notes quite long enough.

If he's a smoker, have him lay off for half a day before recording a song like that. He'll find that he can hit those notes and hang on them MUCH easier. (I have singer friends that don't smoke at all, but will smoke a few just before they sing a low song as it lowers their voice quite a bit.)

The rest of the songs are very well done, nice tone, nice timing!
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Thanks for the in depth review :-)

let me just say that Idid not play guitar on any of these ;-)

Yes, the candlebox solo is a little off, but this was not something we did a million takes on, it was like two takes and call it good. It's only for a demo for club owners to hear really.

Our singer does not smoke, and he was surely not at the top of his range with this one, this is one of the easier songs for him, I think he just doesn't know it that well.

We have played these songs so many times and have not heard the original versions in so long that "our way" sound right to us. I am sure if we all listened to the cd of the original, we would be making some changes.

Glad you liked it though :-)
R0ckerb0y

Re: re

Post by R0ckerb0y »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Thanks for the in depth review :-)

let me just say that Idid not play guitar on any of these ;-)

Yes, the candlebox solo is a little off, but this was not something we did a million takes on, it was like two takes and call it good. It's only for a demo for club owners to hear really.

Our singer does not smoke, and he was surely not at the top of his range with this one, this is one of the easier songs for him, I think he just doesn't know it that well.

We have played these songs so many times and have not heard the original versions in so long that "our way" sound right to us. I am sure if we all listened to the cd of the original, we would be making some changes.

Glad you liked it though :-)
I've listened to most of the clips and songs on the VanLandingham site, and a number of the Bottom Feeder songs (Loved the Waitress one)

Good luck with the gigs, I'd pay to see it for sure.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Cool, thanks a lot man!

If you are interested, sing up for notification when the new cd is released here http://www.ericvanlandingham.com/inform.htm