crackling noises-best settings

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

vicarito

crackling noises-best settings

Post by vicarito »

I am having some issues with crackling noises even with low volume and a few tracks in the project.
I would appreciate some advice regarding the best set up considering the equipment that I have:

Dell computer XP 8700 (it has plenty of RAM) (windows 7) (Mixcraft 7 pro)
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

I am using ASIO
Sample rate 4800
Buffer Size 1024
Latency with these settings : 21.33
(The computer is 64 bit)
I know that at some point I changed the Buffer Size from 512 to 1024 but I do not remember how I did it. (I am not too much into the technical aspect but if somebody can give some advice I would appreciate it) I know that the latency is a little high but I do not now to what should I change the other readings to make it lower and still be able to do the music without any issues)
Sometimes I play back projects already done without any issues, other times I get a lot of noise, so I have to close Mixcraft, reopen it and try again. Or when I am recording new tracks sometimes the noises start, so I have to do a save, exit and reopen again to continue working.

Thank you very much
vicarito
Acoustica Greg

Re: crackling noises-best settings

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

To change buffer settings in ASIO mode, go into Sound Device preferences and click "Open Mixer."

Increasing buffer settings generally smooths out playback. Decreasing buffer settings lowers latency, but it can cause audio skipping if you lower them too much.

You can try freezing some tracks that you aren't working on to see if that helps. Freezing temporarily converts the track to wav so that your CPU doesn't have to labor processing all the plugins on the track. Select a track and press Ctrl+F to freeze it.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101