Uninstalled MX9 and now VSTis don't work in MX8

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

creativeforge

Uninstalled MX9 and now VSTis don't work in MX8

Post by creativeforge »

So I was trying to fix an annoying issue of truncated GUIs in MX8 Pro. As a result of my questions here, I decided to install MX9 Pro. It didn't fix anything. So after going back to MX8 and making it work for a live gig the next day, I decided it would be a good idea to just remove MX9 completely. So I did.

The next morning, as I'm setting up to play in church, I noticed I see MIDI movement but hear no sound. Nothing I could do worked, and then I remembered MX9. OK, no biggie, I thought, I have a restore point. Done.

Uh, not so fast. Nope, no sound. ONLY MIXCRAFT VSTs WORK. Nothing from Kontakt or Omnisphere works.

I rescanned all the VST and VSTis, checked my sound card many times, even clicked on Default Device Settings. Nothing so far.

Should I try to reinstall MX8 Pro over top of MX8 Pro? Don't want this to happen again.

I'm using an Audient i14 sound card, a M-Audio Oxygen 49.

Thanks for any help, you bunch of geeks! :)

Andre
Acoustica Greg

Re: Uninstalled MX9 and now VSTis don't work in MX8

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That wouldn't normally happen, assuming you allowed the two versions to install into their own separate folders. Which virtual instruments weren't working, exactly? Is it possible that you have Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio installed, and that it was using some of Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio's virtual instruments?

Sure, you can just install Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio right over your current Mixcraft 8 installation, but make sure that you do have the Pro Studio installer in case my theory is correct.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Hi Greg,

I installed as usual, their own folder, but maybe I aimed the VSTs to the same folders? But they would be MX9 own VSTs. What happened is that ONLY the Mixcraft's VSTis are responding. Kontakt and Omnisphere, in particular, are not responding with audio, but I see the MIDI led responding.

IMPORTANT: I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall MX9PS, so this goes much deeper to delete traces of a software and it could have messed things up. Although I did a system restore (Win10) it hasn't come back to what it was.

From what I understand, I could uninstall MX9 again, and then install MX8PS (4.18) and that should reset it all? I'm not going to change anything to the VSTis folders I always use: 32 bit in one VST folder, 64 bit to its own folder.

I always purchase or upgrade to the ProStudio version, therefore I have both MX8 Recording Studio AND MX8 Pro Studio.

I'll let you know how it went.
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

UPDATE:

So it's not just in Mixcraft.

Next day I'm playing live but I get no sound out from the card.

1- In my DAW I can see MIDI occurring, but no sound. YouTube videos play but no sound.
2- However, if I plug the card on my desktop computer, then there is sound.
3- I updated Windows 10.
4- I updated the Audient card drivers.
5- I reinstalled my DAW (the version I always used, Pro Studio 8). As well as MX9.
6- I searched Audient's website and other forum platforms.
7- The card is connected directly into the USB port (no hub).
8- I'm using the USB-C 3-feet cable provided by Audient.
9- I setup the card via its control applet, and Preferences in the DAW.
10- I came round to ask here.

Whether the deletion of MX9 affected my soundcard I don't know. I'm stomped.

Andre
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

I had a sudden loss of sound this afternoon.
I'd switched sound cards for a screen capture and forgot to re-engage the regular one.
What shows up in Prefs>Sound Device?
Attachments
Prefs.png
Prefs.png (150.95 KiB) Viewed 9863 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member

Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 8 gig RAM; Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio; Win 11 Pro

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the thought. Here is what I show.
022c274fcc9f1cd4add53f65d47e44d2.png
022c274fcc9f1cd4add53f65d47e44d2.png (240.85 KiB) Viewed 9857 times
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

AH! So I opened my soundcard control panel and started looking at what I may have clicked unwittingly. And there it was. I had deselected output/input? MIC • OPT • DAW seem to have something to do. Still not completely sure since I don't do audio recording with it.
57c1d4daba27798b72e919a429ed0830.png
57c1d4daba27798b72e919a429ed0830.png (128.02 KiB) Viewed 9855 times

PLUS the master knob was turned all the way down (I didn't noticed that when I turn the physical knob it affected that one too. So as I would turn it down not to blast the speakers, you see what happened... Oh boy. I feel like an idiot). :P

I now tested PLAYBACK with Mixcraft and all works as it should. Tested with YouTube and Winamp too - success!

But now to see about VSTis, will confirm later.

UPDATE: I used a different controller (Yamaha P125) to see what else I could have missed, and everything worked. OK. So I decided to RESET the M-Audio controller to factory defaults, and now that fixed the lack of sound coming from the soundcard.

So I created a User setting for the soundcard. And in Mixcraft Preferences, I now I check the box "Use Device's Preferred Settings" and click Default Device Settings. Not sure if that last step is necessary, but eh. It's working now.

Thanks for your reply, though, you made me look! :)

Andre
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Great Andre! Glad we could get the ball rolling :D
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member

Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 8 gig RAM; Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio; Win 11 Pro

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio