Drums (more human)?

Support and feedback for Beatcraft.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Bloodsoaked

Drums (more human)?

Post by Bloodsoaked »

Eric, looking for more info/help with gettimg mroe human drums.

Ok, in Beatcraft under "Advance Step Control" there is Volume, Pan and Rate. I am asuming if I want to make the drums for human I need to adjust the volume for each as you have discussed before. Do I need to change the Rate for each hit as well? If so how would you go about it?

Also, do I need to use the Low-Pass Filter or the High-Pass Filter at all?

At this time I am trying to make my snare more human in my blast beats. Example for snare: 100/98/100/97/98/100, this is for the volume, so do I need to make any other changes to the rate for each and every one as well?

Thank you,
Peter
Bloodsoaked

Post by Bloodsoaked »

Hey Eric, beleive it or not the last mp3 mix I posted in the user showcase section actually had the snare volume varied as such:

100/98/100/97/98/100/98/100/97/98/100/98/99

I guess maybe it can not really be heard as it is so fast or maybe I am missing something?

Peter
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

The rate is how fast the sample is played. The effect it has is a higher tuned drum for faster rate, or lower tuned for lower speed.

You do not need to use that unless you want make a tom or something sound like another tom. IE: using rate, you can make 3 toms sound like 6 or 9.

I vary the volume from 100 down to 50 or so, depending on the application of it. Like a fast jazz type roll would use 65/38/50/41/64/38/50/41/100

Notice the drummers right hand is stronger, just like a real drummer would do a roll. I frequently do these rolls on my desk here and analyze how many hits i use and which ones are harder or softer, this is how I figure out how a roll should be placed in Beatcraft.

Use the high and low filters to thin the drum sound when you hit softer, it gives it that "softer hit" sound.
Bloodsoaked

Post by Bloodsoaked »

How about the snare drum on a blast beat to make it more human?

Peter
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I don't do much speed stuff, i would say to use many steps per beat, like 32 and throw the snare out of time on purpose every couple of hits.
Also, use lots of tempo flags and slow down/speed up the timing randomly. I am guessing that playing that fast has got to be off the metronome, so fluctuating the speed would be my first guess at trying to make it sound human, since right on the beat is going to definitly sound like a machine.